You know it...

My photo
I'm a happy and simple person who just happens to be lucky and in love. Must have items in life: ♥ my family, pup, friends and the one that makes my heart all a-flutter♥. Don't be fooled though, I have bad days too, but that's ok because Light needs Darkness. Watch the TEDtalk about that.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

#105

Yesterday I got to cross off a totally awesome item off my bucket list (they are all pretty awesome...but it is my first cross off, so it's extra cool) #105. Snowboard/Skii

First and foremost, it was a great feeling and not just because I got to cross it off my bucket list, but because I got to do something I really wanted to try! It has been a LONG time since I've done anything that was physically super demanding (probably not a good thing). It felt so good to be challenged both physically and mentally! I know what it is like to be challenged mentally, I dig it...but there is this whole other element when the challenge involves your body.

At first I was super stoked! It felt good to be on some snow and it was a lot easier too since I was in a class with my sister and everyone else who were beginners. But then once we got on the boards, I started to get a little nervous. What if I just totally sucked and there was no hope for me? I wanted to turn around and not do it anymore! Falling in front of everyone didn't seem fun and even though I know you are supposed to fall...I don't think it's something people WANT to do. Suddenly my instructor was having everyone, one by one, go down a hill...just go! Then I got REALLY nervous...one by one?! UHG. As my turn approached I took an idea from one of my favorite shows, Lost. Count to five. Let fear take over your body and soul for five seconds...then after that...do what needs to be done. I did that, and I went on, and it was fabulous! I fell...I fell a lot...but that's what learning is about. Falling, but always getting back up. And for the rest of the day, that was my attitude. I had a blast and learned so much and would recommend the activity to everyone under the sun!

Even though I didn't necessarily overcome a "fear", I did do something that was different for me and my life has been beautified because of it. Go me, and Go living life!

Also, a quick side note, my instructor Cullen, was not only a total babe with these beautiful green eyes he MADE me stare into (haha) but he was so encouraging and a great teacher! I know there were things I definitely was not doing correctly, but he always pointed out what I needed to improve while reassuring me that I was doing other things "perfect". HAHA, he was SO sweet and I'm really happy I got a fab instructor who took time with each and every one of us individually!

A thank you to my Mom and Dad for taking me and my sister. It was our "hidden" Xmas gift and the best one ever! They were so awesome the whole day too, the came out to watch us learn our heel and toe slides (videos to come soon!) and the watched us semi-conquer the bunny hill! I'm really lucky to have parents that still need to take pictures every 5 minutes because the look on mine and my sisters face was so priceless! It probably seems silly to everyone else, but I felt awesome!

Thank you to my baby sister, Deana, for doing it with me! I'm happy that we both got to do it together because even though I'm sure I could have done it on my own...everything is 100x better with my baby sister. We shared a lot of laughs, falls, and moments of success!

And last but not least, Thank you John for reminding me that there is more to life than just surviving it.

Until the next cross off!

xoxo
M.

2 comments: