You know it...

My photo
I'm a happy and simple person who just happens to be lucky and in love. Must have items in life: ♥ my family, pup, friends and the one that makes my heart all a-flutter♥. Don't be fooled though, I have bad days too, but that's ok because Light needs Darkness. Watch the TEDtalk about that.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Words (Part 2)



I recently came across this image, and couldn't help but have a huge smile spread across my face! (And that happens every time I see it!) It is a reminder of such a beautiful time in my life, and it deserves words. Garett is, by far, one of the most wonderful people I have ever had the pleasure of having in my life. He is the kindest, sweetest soul and brought so much light into my life during a time that could have easily been quite dark. But besides our beautiful, short lived relationship, this picture is probably one of my favorite memories with him, and we weren't even anything more than friends when it happened. Before this picture was taken I had met Garett a total of ONCE. I remember him being rather quiet, and not so interesting (yikes, sorry Garett lol) but that could have been due to the fact that I was more interested in his friend at the time. Then one day the small group that we went out with the one time before, randomly decided to go out again. I had the pleasure of sitting near Garett and found him to be amazing! Anyways, after a dinner full of laughs and rather odd impersonations, we all headed out and this is when the picture was taken. Whoever took it had amazing timing, because as I was standing there in my typical Marissa pose, Garett made a joke about my height (I've grown half an inch since then btw) and right as the flash snapped, my jaw dropped! Remembering how silly that moment was, and realizing that the camera caught it was such a great time! Needless to say, my relationship with Garett that followed was breath taking...he set the bar for any man who followed. And in retrospect, only one has reached it! So, thank you thank you thank you Garett for such a beautiful memory, a wonderful relationship, and for setting the bar so high, that only the best could ever fill my life with light the way you did!

As redemption, he did agree to take a "normal" picture with me :) What a sweetheart. Any lady is lucky to have such an awesome guy.

Next up, only more sweetness!

My current significant other is the only one who can probably surpass Garett is the "being good to me" department, as it should be! Brandon knows the way to my heart, with candy! This past summer, I had to go back to Colorado with my family and as much as I love them...it was definitely a rough 2.5 months. Four ADULTS in a 2 bedroom place? And everyone growing in different directions? Probably was the equation for stress! But I have gotten so lucky in life and have someone who loves me in all the right ways and he isn't even required to because he is family, he just does! Brandon sent this to me for out 7-monthiversary! And I had such a rough week that week, I remember it feeling like time was moving so slow...and then I got this box full of all my favorite sweets from my personal favorite sweet! And it was the closest I felt to being "home" that whole summer. As much as I love my parents and my sister...and I do get homesick for them, my definition of home has changed since Brandon has become such a big part of my life and such a big part of my heart. Home is where the heart is, and I always keep my heart with Brandon (for safe keeping of course) and this is how I know Brandon is the one. Looking back on it, I was probably just happy to have junk food to soothe my emotions (lol) but now, noticing how much of my definition of home is now so much of Brandon, I think that's why it felt good to get all the delicious candies. It wasn't because they were candies, it was because they were coming from home...somewhere familiar and from a place where I always felt accepted and safe. I am so thankful to have someone who is so kind, sweet, and caring to me! I know not everyone is so blessed, and I know I am lucky.



This is a beautiful picture, isn't it? It is of my baby cousins, Jordan, Jasmine, and Anthony. They are a trio and have a bond that is much closer than just cousins (as is the Alim way). I come from a family where we don't define cousins as a child of an aunt or an uncle, but as brothers and sisters. I know for a fact that at any given moment in my life, if I needed someone, any of them would be at my side (or at least on the phone!) in a heartbeat. It has happened before! So I'm not just saying it. But, what I love about this picture isn't just that it's totally awesome, but that the bond I share with my cousins has trickled down into the next generation! It reminds me of who I am. So much of me is my family...and so much of that is the bond I share with my cousins. I am happy to know that my children have beautiful relationships to look forward to, and I am proud to come from a place that puts so much emphasis on loving one another that there is no longer a difference between sibling and cousin with us (Although, my ACTUAL sister is definitely my favorite sibling haha). I am so thankful to have a beautiful family and thankful to know that it will stay that way in my future! It's just how us Alim's are! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment